(909) 885-7190

How to File a Workers’ Compensation Claim in California

Albert E. Hirst Law Offices | Dedicated Workers’ Compensation Lawyer

Filing a Workers’ Comp Claim in San Bernardino and Riverside County

If you’ve sustained injuries at your place of work in California, you are entitled to benefits under the California Workers’ Compensation Act.  Pursuant to the Act, your employer must provide workers’ compensation benefits to any employee if they are involved in an accident and/or are injured on the job.  However, in order to obtain the compensation you need, you must first file a timely claim.  If you have been injured on the job and need assistance with filing a workers’ compensation claim in San Bernardino or Riverside, be sure to contact the Albert E. Hirst Law Offices by calling (909) 885-7190 today.

Steps to Take After a Work-Related Injury

If you’ve been injured at work while performing your duties, it is important that you seek medical attention right away.  Your employer is required to pay for your treatment, and you should also let your health care professionals know that your injuries are work-related.  Injured workers must report their injury to their employer within thirty days of the incident, or first treatment of a work-related injury or illness, though the sooner you tell your employer, the better.  If you miss this window for telling your employer about your injury, you might lose your right to receive workers’ compensation benefits.

After you’ve reported your injury, your employer should provide you with the appropriate paperwork for filing a claim, including what is called a DWC-1 claim form.  Your employer should provide you with a claim form within one working day after they learn about your injury.  If they do not give you a form, you can obtain one from the California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Workers’ Compensation forms page.

It is crucial that you fully complete your portion of a claim form and give to your employer either in person or by mail once it is filled out.  Your employer will then fill out their designated section of the form, and they should provide you with a copy of the completed form.

Your claim form typically has to be filed with the insurance company within one year of your injury, or you might not be able to receive your benefits.  After your claim form is submitted to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company, the insurance company is required to respond to your claim within fourteen days.  While your employer and the insurance company decide whether to accept or deny your claim, you have a right to receive up to $10,000 in medical treatment under certain guidelines.  Your employer is required to approve medical care within one working day of receiving your claim form.

Within fourteen days you should hear from the insurance company.  At this point you will learn whether you will start receiving benefits or the insurance company will inform you that your claim is denied or is being investigated to determine its validity.  If the insurance company is investigating your claim, it will let you know within ninety days from the receipt of your claim whether it is accepted or denied.  If you are not happy about the claim administrator’s decision, an appeal of the findings should be filed soon thereafter.

Attorney Albert HirstDedicated and Experienced Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in San Bernardino & Riverside Counties

If you’ve suffered a workplace injury or illness in the San Bernardino, Hemet, or Inland Empire areas, it is important that you consult with a knowledgeable and dedicated California Workers’ Compensation Lawyer at the Albert E. Hirst Law Offices right away.  Albert E. Hirst, III, has extensive experience representing those who have been injured on the job and he can help you obtain the best possible results in your workers’ compensation case.  Contact us online or call us today at (909) 885-7190 and schedule your free and confidential consultation.