(909) 885-7190

Workers’ Compensation Claims and Motor Vehicle Accidents in California

If you were injured as a result of a car accident that occurred while you were performing a work-related duty or while traveling for work, it is important that you understand your rights as well as your legal options. This article will highlight the common ground between workers’ compensation claims and motor vehicle accidents. For more information regarding your specific case, consult a professional attorney who has experience in handling workers’ compensation cases in the State of California.

Defining the Term “Work-Related”

Although every state will have its own rules and regulations with regard to workers’ compensation claims, generally, they will all require that the injury sustained be work-related in order for the worker to receive benefits.

For the most part, if a worker was injured while at his or her place of work, that injury is considered work-related. It is worth noting, however, that there are exceptions that could affect your specific case.

Under certain circumstances, a worker can also be covered when driving a car away from work but carrying out work-related duties. In this scenario, the following examples may apply:

  • The worker was running an errand for or on behalf of his employer.
  • The worker is out making deliveries.
  • The worker is transporting another worker.
  • The worker drives for a living.
  • The employee travels for work because he or she does not have a permanent office.
  • The worker is paid by his or her employee for the time and travel to and from his or her home.

For the most part, a worker is unable to obtain workers’ compensation for an incident that occurred while he or she was commuting to work. However there are exceptions to this generalization as well. For instance, a worker who stopped by to pick up something for the company can obtain benefits if he or she was involved in a vehicle collision.

When to File for a Personal Injury Claim

An employee who suffered injuries as a result of a multi-vehicle collision may also have the opportunity to file a personal injury claim against the negligent driver. If the driver chooses to file a personal injury claim, he or she will need to contact the other party’s insurance carrier to seek restitution for the injuries. It is important to understand that the filing process for either claim is completely separate and implicates different courses of action.

Obtain Financial Restitution: Seek Legal Support

If you have been injured as a result of a motor-vehicle accident while performing work-related duties, seek the legal expertise of a knowledgeable attorney who can assist you in filing the appropriate claim. Whether you choose to file a workers’ compensation claim or personal injury claim, it is important to know that you have a limited amount of time to bring forth the claim; an experienced attorney will understand this.

Attorney Albert E. Hirst is dedicated to helping employees in the State of California obtain the benefits they deserve after being injured while at work. He is highly experienced in the field of workers’ compensation benefits involving vehicular accidents and can help you determine what type of claim is best for you.