(909) 885-7190

utility worker

What Should I Do If I Am Injured On The Job?

If you’ve been injured in a work-related accident, or you discover that you’ve sustained a work-related injury, the most important thing you can do is to seek medical treatment. When receiving medical care, tell your health care providers that your injuries occurred on the job, and be sure to keep track of all of your medical records and bills associated with your treatment.

The next most important step to take is to report your workplace injury to your employer. You typically must tell your employer about your injury within thirty days from the date of your injury or the discovery and treatment of an injury. After you report the injury, within one working day, your employer should provide you with a claim form, also known as at DWC-1 form. Fill out your portion of the form completely. Be sure to describe your injury in detail, including every body part affected by your injury, and return the form to your employer. Your employer will thereafter complete their section of the form and will file it with their workers’ compensation insurance company. This begins the workers’ compensation claim process.

While your claim is pending, it is important that you continue to be treated by your health care providers. Your doctor should have a good understanding of your work-related injury or illness and will likely play an important role when determining the benefits you will be entitled to. The costs associated with any necessary medical services will be paid by your employer or your employer’s insurance carrier if your claim is not disputed.

Workplace Injuries and Third-Party Negligence Lawsuits

In some instances, your work-related injury may have been caused by the negligence of a third party. Depending on the facts and circumstances, this other individual or entity could be a manufacturer or a designer of a defective tool or piece of equipment, or maybe they were the driver of a delivery truck. If you’ve been injured at work and you think it might be due to the negligent or reckless actions of a third party, you may be able to file a negligence claim against that party that is separate from a workers’ compensation claim. When a separate negligence action is filed, you can potentially recover any additional damages that you may not have been able to recover in a workers’ compensation claim. These damages can include pain and suffering, emotional distress, lost quality of life, and other non-economic damages.

No matter how your workplace injury occurred, if it happened while you were performing your job duties, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses and other damages. Be sure to contact an experienced California workers’ compensation attorney right away to discuss your case.

Experienced and Knowledgeable Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in California

If you’ve sustained injuries in a workplace accident or other incident, especially if they occurred in the San Bernardino, Hemet, or Inland Empire areas, you might be entitled to benefits under California’s workers’ compensation law. Contact an experienced workers’ compensation lawyer at the Albert E. Hirst Law Offices as soon as possible to determine whether you have a viable workers’ compensation or third-party negligence claim. Albert E. Hirst, III, has extensive experience representing those who have sustained workplace injuries and he has the skills and the resources necessary to help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve. Call us today at (909) 885-7190 to schedule your free consultation and learn what we can do for you.