(909) 885-7190

How to Handle a Slip and Fall on Government Property

If you have suffered a slip and fall while on government property, you may be wondering if the agency where you suffered the accident can be held responsible for your injuries. If the government agency was negligent in maintaining the premises, the agency could be held accountable for your injuries. It is important to know, however, that there are limitations to this.

If you have suffered injuries as a result of a slip and fall accident while on government property, the information provided below will help you understand if you have a valid case.

Your Right to File a Lawsuit

As an injured victim, you should know that there are laws that protect your right to file a lawsuit. While injured victims have a right to file a lawsuit, there are procedural requirements that limit a person’s ability to file a claim. Another challenge victims may face is that each government agency may have its own set of guidelines to file a claim.

Establishing Negligence

Aside from procedural requirements, government agencies will only be held accountable on a slip and fall accident on the condition that:

  1. The agency or employee from the agency was negligent in causing the accident, and
  2. The careless act, or inaction, played a major role in causing the accident.

A person who suffers a slip and fall while on government-owned property will not always be able to hold the agency responsible. In order to hold the agency accountable, there must have been an unsafe condition that made the premises unsafe. Additionally, in order to demonstrate that the agency was careless, the victim will need to demonstrate that the agency knew or should have known that hazardous conditions existed. Finally, the victim must prove that while the agency knew (or should have known) about the hazardous condition, it failed to take steps to remedy the condition.

Important Notification and Time Limits

State and federal agencies have strict rules that will need to be followed in order to file a claim against an agency. For the most part, the first rule is to notify the agency.

Before filing a claim, the victim will need to file a notice of the injury to the appropriate agency. Depending on the agency, the deadline for submitting the notice can be as soon as 30 days.

Seek the Legal Advice of a Slip and Fall Lawsuit Experienced Attorney

If you have suffered a slip and fall accident while on government property, you should know that you are not expected to know the laws regarding filing a slip and fall claim. Instead, it can be beneficial to seek the legal advice of a skilled personal injury attorney who has experience in handling slip and fall claims that occur on government property.

The Law Offices of Albert E. Hirst focuses on representing victims of slip and fall accidents that occur while on government property. Attorney Albert E. Hirst is highly skilled in the legal field of personal injury accidents and is devoted to helping those who have suffered as a result of negligent government agencies. Personal injury lawsuits that involve government agencies are subject to very strict deadlines; seek the legal support of an experienced and professional attorney as soon as possible.