(909) 885-7190

injured man in wheelchair

California Workers’ Compensation Benefits FAQs

If you’ve been injured in the workplace, under California law, you might be entitled to worker’s compensation benefits. Perhaps your injury was the result of a single incident or accident at work, or maybe the injury developed over time from performing the same motions on a constant basis. No matter your injury, the following are some frequently asked questions about workers’ compensation benefits in California:

Q: If I’ve sustained injuries at work, should I report it to my employer right away?
A: In most instances, it is a good idea to tell your employer about your work-related injuries as soon as possible. While you usually must tell your employer within thirty days from the date of your injury, or the date you first received treatment for an injury that developed over time, the sooner you let your employer know, the better so that you can obtain the compensation you need. Once you tell your employer about your injury, you have one year from the date of your injury to file an official claim with your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance company.

Q: What happens after I report my injury to my employer?
A: Your employer will likely give you a claim form known as a DWC-1 form. You should complete your portion of the form and return it to your employer. By filling out this form, it begins the process of determining the benefits that you might be entitled to, including payments for medical care associated with your work-related injuries, temporary and permanent disability benefits, supplemental job displacement benefits, and death benefits.

Q: What if I don’t tell my employer about my injury within the thirty-day window?
A: If you fail to tell your employer about your injury within thirty days, you may not be able to collect workers’ compensation benefits, unless your employer was aware of your injury or should have been aware during that thirty-day period. If you’ve been injured at work and you think you may have missed the deadline for reporting your injury, be sure to contact an experienced San Bernardino workers’ compensation lawyer right away.

Q: But what happens if my employer doesn’t have workers’ compensation insurance?
A: In most instances, employers in California are required to carry workers’ compensation insurance. If your employer never paid insurance premiums and was not self-insured, you might be able to sue your employer for any medical expenses you incur or wages you’ve lost as a result of your work-related injuries. You may also be able to file a workers’ compensation claim against your employer to collect from the California Uninsured Employers Benefits Trust Fund. In any event, it is important to consult with a knowledgeable California Workers’ Compensation Lawyer to discuss your case.

Experienced and Dedicated Workers’ Compensation Lawyer in the Inland Empire

If you’ve sustained injuries that you believe are work-related, especially if they occurred in the San Bernardino, Hemet, or Inland Empire areas, you might be entitled to benefits under California’s workers’ compensation law. To determine whether you have the right to receive workers’ compensation benefits, it is imperative that you contact an experienced Inland Empire workers’ compensation lawyer at the Albert E. Hirst Law Offices as soon as possible. Albert E. Hirst, III, has extensive experience representing those who have sustained workplace injuries and he has the skills and the resources necessary to help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve. Call us today at (909) 885-7190 to schedule your free consultation and learn what we can do for you.